“…you will try, in other words, to assemble a cast of talking hair-do’s.” Is this honestly what our news has come to? Rather than displaying the events of the day, it too has become part of the entertainment business. As I was reading through Amusing Ourselves to Death, I came across chapter 7 which was all about newscasters and the news and how the news is misleading. What struck me the most was that, even though the cast of a TV news station is chosen upon their abilities, the creator of the station will definitely make sure the face of their news is “ likable and credible”. I find this really disappointing because they are flat out saying that people who are not as pretty or attractive will not get their chance. This is the news, a place people tune into to check up on what is happening locally and globally; not on who looks the best.
You know what else I realized about the women on the news stations? They have the need to have to show a little to some cleavage! That is utterly disgusting and provocative because these women do NOT need to show any cleavage just to attract viewers onto their show. My question is, why have these news stations become all about appearances? Agreed that most shows such as So You Think You Can Dance and American Idol sort of require hosts to have an appealing appearance, but the news? I find it really disturbing that this is what the NEWS, of all stations, has reached too.
This is very true. The news has become more misleading over time. Not only does the news report unnecessary events on celebrities, but they try to keep up appearances in order to maintain the interest of their viewers.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, modern society has placed a big role on appearances even when it comes to jobs. For example, let’s say there are two people being interviewed for a job as a news reporter. Person one has excellent news reporting skills but is less attractive than person two who has adequate reporting skills. I believe that person two would be chosen over person one despite the obvious correct choice. It is sad to say that increasingly over time skill is not the only basis of getting a job.
Even the news has succumbed to the standard of entertainment business where its hosts must not only have skill in their job but also be attractive in order to stimulate views. Beauty standards are becoming an increasingly controversial subject in the real world and in the world of business.
The news isn't for giving information and news as much as it could be. They do what it takes for viewings and ratings. They entertain the viewer as much as possible.
ReplyDeleteThese days, beauty can play a huge role in entertainment, especially on television. Many people out there would rather see a slightly more attractive woman or man on the screen than a slightly less one. It is what it is.
Along with Ms. Benons, I also agree that the slightly more adept one won't get the job based on the person's appearance. The news is going down a path with the rest of television. The Age of Show Business is here, and the only job they have is to entertain.
The fact that the news has become part of the show business as well really hit me hard. It seems like the news is really cheap now, if you know what I mean, and now when I tune into the news I find it too distracting and difficult to just pay attention to the news. Especially with these HD T.V.'s these days, it is pretty evident on how much make-up these people actually have to put on. I guess the news is not what it used to be and we will just have to adapt to the change.
ReplyDeleteAs I was reading your post I agreed with what you were saying, but once you got to the clevage part, I cannot get more onboard,for it is so true! Even if the woman has a pretty face she still has to show things that are supposedly great at attracting viewers. When I watch the news, sometimes I am shocked at the nonsense stories reported. No one cares about celebrity gossip when watching CNN! We watch different channels for those types of things, so when I turn on the news I expect real stories about what is really happening in our world.
ReplyDeleteSadly Ridhi, you bring up another point about physical apperance in the workforce. I know I feel discomfort when thinking about how another woman could get the job instead of me just because she is prettier. Nevertheless, my opinion is not shareed by the rest of society. Yes, apperance matters, but it should not interfere with your job. Sometimes there are instances when people do not dress appropriately in the office, and that is a completely different issue, but if they are appropriately dressed, what does it matter how they look?