Sunday, August 5, 2012

Postman's resemblance to Fahrenheit 451

     As I was reading Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Aldous Huxley, I noticed a similarity, or at least a connotation, to the novel, Fahrenheit 451. Amid the chapter "now...this" I read an excerpt of Postman explaining how television rarely requires viewers to "carry over any thought or feeling from one parcel of time to the next". This reminded me of Fahrenheit 451 because Postman referenced a viewers lack of necessity for "thought or feeling", which seemed to be the gist of Fahrenheit 451. 
     Postman explains that newscasters comment, "now...this" because you have thought long enough on the previous matter and must now focus your attention on an entirely different subject, deeming the previous matter insignificant. It's similar to 451 because in the novel, the characters were superficial and vain, and gave no significant thought to anything except for the next piece of gossip that they will shortly become bored of. Isn't there a resemblance if not a similarity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.