In The Brave New World, it is pretty obvious that the world state detests nature. This hate does not stem from some traumatic experience, but a logic that can be perceived as both revolutionary and evil. In the first chapter, the Director is quick to point out the fallacies of a society where births are done "naturally." He despises the old, slow process of giving birth to a baby. He lauds the decision to implement "bokanovskification" and "Podsnap's Technique." These two processes are used to increase the creation rate of human beings. Children within the facility are even forced to reject nature.
"The green was maggoty with fore-shortened life. Forests of Centrifugal Bumble-puppy towers gleamed between the trees." This excerpt is from chapter 4 at the end of part 1. This is taken while Lenina and Henry are soaring over a park. The underlying meaning of the description used is really disconcerting. Nature is described as a decaying substance. A part of the setting that will never dissapear similar to mold. On the other hand, the grand towers are described as forests. The towers, not the trees, are what makes up the majority of the forest. Technology has taken over even the great mother nature herself.
Our world and Huxley's world are not all that different. Both worlds are based on the consumption of goods.The Director's logic is simply terrifying because it all makes sense. The replacement of trees with the Centrifugal Bumble-puppy towers is simply an extension of this logic. The Director is simply trying to get the most money out of people in a easy way. This similarity is proven by how our society will raze entire forests in order to create a hotel or a factory. The allure of wealth simply overpowers nature.
Our society is already beginning to shun nature and seek the embrace of technology. I have seen more people at the Apple store simply poking at gadgets than people outside having fun in the sun. This is not a surprising phenomenon. Our society is a fast one where cars are used everyday. We don't have the opportunity to look around ourselves because of our high-paced society. Nature itself is already becoming displaced. Scientists have already tried to imitate nature in the form of fake jewels. Even my phone has a ringtone that sounds like a bird. When I go outside I don't become interested looking at animals. My interest is only piqued when I see the animals on my phone.
In the end, both of our societies shun nature.
Now I ask you, is nature as a whole doomed? Do you think there is any possiblity for people to remove themselves from technology willingly in order to experience the diversity of nature? Do you regard technology more important than nature? How many times have you simply noticed the world around you? I don't mean because of a pesky mosquitoe or a fly.
Although modern-day technology and routine life indeed strain our relationship with nature, it does not indicate a decrease in our world's interaction with it. Yes, we tend to take nature for granted by building hotels and making money out of natural wonders, but is that really a negative thing? Tourist industries make a great amount of money because others want to view nature and believe that they can "become one with nature."
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, our society is different than the Utopian society in "A Brave New World" because the society there indeed loathes nature, whereas we do not. Our only obstacle is that we do not properly take care of it.
This is such an important statement to let people be aware of. I recently heard about the new images of Mars and how amazed and excited everyone is. However, my first reaction was anger. I felt angry of how we humans are so in love with new things. We are so impatient. Once something new comes, we instantly drop the previous thing without ever discovering its entire beauty, for most greatest gifts given to us are always found at the end, at the end of struggle. This all raced through my mind, and also the fact how we humans have the most amazing planet to have as our OWN, yet we destroy it and turn to another. Disregarding what we have and treating it like nothing, then going to another to do the same exact thing. It makes me wonder if humans are just made to destroy things. Yet, there is still much hope. Hope in self-awareness and raising new generations to adapt the morality of gratitude. Educating people of the Earth and how important she is and how much she gives us, will raise people who can take care of her and find peace with what they are born with. She is our Mother Earth. She treats us like her children. As much as we turn away from her, or take her money, she still keeps giving, still keeps growing our trees. What happens if one day she stops everything? I think that is more of an intense question than the question we all say about power shortages and an apocalyptic shut down of the internet. ITS GONNA BE APOCALYPTIC IF NATURE SHUTS DOWN! THAT'S WHAT.
ReplyDeleteEdward Kang, congratulations on being our 100TH POST on the blog! Tell me what kind of candy bar is your favorite. I'm gonna get it for you. If I don't hear from you, I'll go with Toblerone. So you HAVE to finish the summer homework.
ReplyDeleteWow, Edward, you are a very lucky goose: you're receiving a free candy bar. I hope there's an award for being the fourth post on this thread.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, you make a valid point. Nature is starting to disappear before our eyes as forests and jungles are being razed for the establishment of tourist industries. However, I don't believe that nature will ever be completely eradicated. People still do place value on nature and can appreciate much of the wildlife that thrives in forests and jungles. Many people also realize the importance that nature plays in our lives such as how plants get rid of harmful carbon dioxide and replace it with essential oxygen.
Will people reconnect with nature by disconnecting from technology? That's a difficult question to answer. For now, society will remain absorbed in technology, disregarding nature. However, when the threat of losing nature becomes more potent, I believe that people will begin to turn away from technology to help nature recover.
Nature is more important than technology. I see nature as essential to human life. It provides us with air, food, and resources (although we shouldn't destroy huge tracts of land for these resources). Technology, although very helpful and entertaining, is not essential. As for your final question, I would have to say "yes." I have noticed the nature around me but not very often. I mainly only notice nature when I go on vacation to exotic places, such as Kauai. I have become used to the environment around my home and am more entranced by the technology that surrounds me.
Nature is not doomed should humans choose to act to save it. For now, Postman's belief that modern news is irrelevant is true. The destruction of nature occurs every day, and we may protest against this to our friends or family; however, most of us do not take any action to stop this destruction. Nature will continue to be consumed by the modern machinery of mankind until the world realizes the true magnitude of its mistake.