Sunday, August 12, 2012

to Palm Springs for Book #100

The 2nd Thursday Bookclub  (core group--> Carin, Kerri, Holly, Molly, Christy, Chrissy, Eva and Alex) has been reading together since 2001; this summer, we are tackling our 100th book together. Because it is such an important milestone, we wanted to celebrate by reading a widely recognized "important novel." In a Vietnamese restaurant in Long Beach, sitting in front of a big bowl of Pho,  I suggested War and Peace.  May I say in my defense that at the time I suggested it, several people enthusiastically agreed.  Kerri, a trusted friend and faithful companion on the Serious Reader's Road of Life, was the only one who objected.  She missed that meeting, but said, "War and Peace?  You're joking right?  If you're not joking, that's a terrible idea."

This was last spring, and we were all feeling fresh, and like we had all of the time in the world.  The trees were just beginning to bud, and there was a feeling of possibility in the air.  Now, there's just two weeks left of summer, and I have to say that reading this book is a battle.  I've discovered that I just don't care about Napolean Bonaparte.  I don't care about the Russian court; I don't even care about Pierre.  My brain actually goes numb when I am reading about battle strategy, and which army is flanking which. (Hey! I have an idea: drop a bomb, and get it over with.)  It's so depressing to be on page 300, and to not care about anything or anybody.  (Did I say page 300?  Gosh, only 1026 pages to go!)  What an overblown idea it was to read this book.  Whose idea was this?  I want to be reading something hilarious, something uplifting, or challenging, or spiritual...but I'm reading War and Peace. Why didn't somebody stop me?  Kerri tried, but I didn't listen, and ironically, she's read the deepest into the text of any of us.  But no one is having any fun.

Or is that I am unable, as that one man reports in The Shallows, of even reading books like War and Peace anymore?  I thought I was good to go, and I'm doing it, but it. is. a. slog.  I'm walking uphill, in a swamp, with a backpack full of potatoes, and with a tight hat on my head.  I have a blister on my foot.  I'm thirsty.  But because I feel I have something to prove to myself, and to be loyal to the bookclub, I keep going.  What a way to spend the last precious hours of summer.

Surely, I am guilty of English teacher sacrilege.  Please don't report me to the authorities.  But, here is a reward for those of you who have read this far.

The 2nd Thursday Bookclub enjoys a few traditions:  a duffy boat ride/book exchange/potluck at Christmas; a family beach bonfire in the early summer; and a Palm Springs girls-only weekend right before school starts.  This year, as it so happens, I am carpooling to Palm Springs with Christy, and we will leave at 10:30 in the morning on Friday, August 24 so we can miss the morning commuter traffic, and get out to the condo before the rest, and get things set up for the later arrivals.  That means that I will pick up notebooks on Thursday, August 23, late in the afternoon, and every notebook that is there early will get a 20-point early turn-in bonus.  I won't pick up the rest until Monday morning, August 27.    Nothing will be counted late until noon on Monday the 27th. So, you can finish a little early, and get a 20-point bump, or you can take an additional weekend to finish writing.  Up to you.   And the blog will still "close" at midnight, August 17.

I hope I get a decent stack of early turn-ins on Thursday the 23rd, or before.  I'd like to take between 10-15 with me to Palm Springs. The box will be set up in the front office for your convenience this week.  You can turn in your work any time now.  Thanks for reading.  Happy writing.


4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that I speak for the whole class when I say "Thank you" for the bonus points and extended deadline. We really appreciate it, and those bonus points are a good incentive to work. Hope you have a good time in Palm Springs and are able to finish that hefty tome, War and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Ryan. The whole thing is coming to a head and I know people are scrambling. I am scrambling too. It's just crazy trying to get everything wrapped up by the due date. Good luck, Everybody. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that the extra credit date is my birthday.
    But yes, I thank you too for the bonus points. I'm sure you planned it so Ryan's points get added to mine too.
    The final week is upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan contacted me via email to donate all of his extra credit to you. He's a very generous friend.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.