Technology is an amazing way to view beauty, but it can also blind us from seeing so much. This last week I flew out to the island of Maui, to stay with my sister and her family. While I was out there I really took in all of the natural beauty the Hawaiian island had to offer. Sadly, I was in company of a young girl caught up within the electric trend. We first met on the plane trip, she had her headphones on as she was playing on her iPad. I couldn't believe she had so much at such a young age, that's all she was focused on. During my vacation, I ran into her on two different occasions. The first was on a hiking trip, we would be exploring the rainforest portion of Maui, our group was told to store all electronics in the van that brought us. The young girl agreed to stash away her iPad and her iPod, but she took her cell phone along with her. We all had been enjoying the scenery throughout the hike, but every time I'd glance at her I saw her eyes glued to her phone. She even came close to falling a couple of times because she was so intrigued by her phone. The second time I saw her was when my family went kayaking. Again we were told to store our electronics before departing into the water, and again she brought along her cell phone. When a small wave came and knocked her kayak off track it sent her iPhone flying into the ocean and she screamed. An hour later she seemed like an entirely new person, looking around and interacting with her family. It sucks that she lost her phone, but once she took a break from her technology she finally realized the beautiful view she was surrounded by. Of course I was caught a few times on my phone responding to a text or checking Twitter, but majority of the time I was able to really absorb the breathtaking scenery. This is a prime example of how the increase of technology is overly consuming the customers. Do you think technology is depriving us from experiencing the world we live in?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Richard that technology really distracts a person from the beauty around them. Technology is very addicting and entertaining even though it is meaningless. A lot of our country's population wastes all of their free by watching television or sitting in front of a computer. This time could be used to gain more knowledge or improve our bodies by working out. Instead, the majority of us throw our valueble time away. My father, Jerrard, has caught me texting many times when we are enjoying scenery or out hiking. It really annoys him and he tells me to stop for a second and enjoy the beauty. Even though I get irritated, i realize I am missing out on what is more important. Technology that consumes our time for enjoyment is almost like poison to us. It burns up our time and nothing productive comes out of it. I think when technology is abused in order to entertain the masses, it can really deprive us from experiencing the world.
ReplyDelete