Sunday, June 17, 2012

How the 10-to-20 set are changing media delivery

On the cover of the business section in today's Sunday LA Times:  TV networks try to connect with young, tech-savvy multitaskers.


What I am wondering about -- and you'll have to read Postman to understand what I am saying -- is the degree to which content shifts (or is perceived differently?) by different media.  Even as I compare print media (the Sunday paper in my driveway) with the online story (this linked one), I can see differences that change the way I experience the text:  the graph is more prominent in the print version; I am sitting at a kitchen counter with the paper spread before me, and I am much more likely to linger over the entire thing, whereas here online, I glance, skim, and skip over the graphic entirely...in fact, I had to hunt for it to see that it was included.  If I didn't know to look for it, it is quite likely that I would have skipped it.  But then I reflect:  does it matter?  Does it really matter?  Am I more likely to remember content more thoroughly and accurately?  Am I more likely to use the information I have gleaned here in setting deeper context in an unfolding understanding of what it means to live in this particular media environment if I read it in print (deeper reading), or online (more superficial reading)?  


Maybe it depends on the content, level of interest, usefulness, etc.  Then how does a young person (with practically zero experience) decide what to pay attention to, and what to skim over?  [This post is 260 words long.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.